Find Birth, Marriage and Death Records
Vital Statistics and Holiday Season Notice:
- The Provincial Archives of Alberta’s Sandra Thomson Reading Room will be closed for the holiday season from Monday, December 21, 2020 to Monday, January 4, 2021 inclusive.
- Vital Statistics records may continue to be requested using the online service throughout the holiday season.
- Vital Statistics services will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021. As such, a slight delay beyond the normal turnaround time might be experienced.
To improve historical Vital Statistics access and service, all Vital Statistics requests and payments are now made through our online payment system.
The How to Order Historical Vital Statistics guide can help you do this.
Multiple vital statistics may be included in one order; please refer to the Quick Guide to Multiple Requests for help.
Birth, marriage, and death records are called Vital Statistics. The Provincial Archives of Alberta holds hundreds of thousands of vital statistic records.
The Provincial Archives of Alberta provides access to:
- birth records that are 120 years or older (from the date of birth)
- marriage records that are 75 years or older (from the date of marriage)
- death records that are 50 years or older (from the date of death)
- stillbirth records that are 75 years or older (from the date of stillbirth)
To access a vital statistics registration:
- Search an index
- Request and pay for your Vital Statistics record by completing a Vital Statistics Request
Listing of vital statistics indexes: